PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heading for disaster
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2006, 22:55
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I'm more of a fixed wing type than rotary these days, the thing that makes me shake my head is the constant shouting about how standards are dropping, with no real data behind these assumptions. Has the accident rate suddenly started increasing?

Someone with 200 hrs is seriously wet behind the ears, but they should be supervised by an experienced instructor to monitor what they teach and how they do it.

I've personally seen more problems with "experienced" people being new FI's than a lot of newbies. Experienced people have often been away from the training environment for so long, that they try and treat it like a commercial flight despite the fact there are so many differences, though they get to grips with these problems pretty quickly it has to be said.

Until there are more jobs available for low timers or more experienced people want to instruct, then there is naff all we can do to change this situation.

People want to get a start in this industry and having put themselves into hock massively in the first place, what's another few grand here and there?

There's nothing wrong with someone trying to get a job and it's hardly the fault of the pilots is it? I mean I know what I'd rather do. Fly helicopters and get paid or sweep floors....... Honestly, don't be so daft.

I sense a bit of jealousy in your post and a feeling that somehow nobody should be allowed to teach until they have significant experience, could you tell me how they are to get this experience in the first place?

I got my first flying job as an FI and haven't looked back since. I like to think I did as good a job as possible in the early days and whilst I still teach now I'm no better or worse than I was before, it's just that I know a bit more and now have to keep an eye on those with less experience.
"Industry experience" is usually nothing more than a good dose of common sense and some people are born with loads of it whilst others wouldn't know it if jumped up and bit them every day for twenty years.

One last point, how are we to attract experienced people back to training? It doesn't pay enough or most are too busy working for their primary employer. What would you rather do, Sit in a Robbie for £30/hr or be flying around in an S76 and getting paid significantly more..... Answers on a postcard!