PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the FAA IR Easier?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2006, 21:36
AFCAS TARGET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have also trained a few guys in the states for the IR and what FFF says is fairly true but does warrant some debate. I had examiners let students slide on some things because there over all performance was good and others that would fail you for any small error. As FFF states its more for a PPL add on, so people will go out and time build in the IFR system, mostly VMC and build up there skills. In Europe, (limited experience) most, (not all) people are looking at the IR as another hurdle to the RHS of an airliner. Probably not a lot of practical experience flying IFR in the first place. Sure your NDB hold might be spot on, but in the real world, exactly how many of those are you going to do. I've never had to do one in real life. Don't want to get into a pissing match over FAA vs. JAA because Europe and America have two very different views on flying and requirements. Have the FAA and JAA but now fly the line on my JAA ticket, (in the real world do I ever think about an NDB approach) not really. just my .02 cents.