PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the FAA IR Easier?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2006, 18:25
OneIn60rule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA IR is almost worthless.

The only thing I was impressed with after starting the JAA IR in the UK (yes it's damned hard up here!) is the NDB approach using COMPASS as main instrument rather than heading indicator.

JAA IR is harder for 2-3 reasons. The airspace and the RT is FAR more standardized than in the USA. You are expected to get to within 5 degrees of your track when entering the hold inbound... if you botch it there's pretty much no chance of passing (you could partial it of course). The hold techniques are much more refined and precise. Until I got here I had never even heard of ADF DIP! T

he next matter is that you are ACTUALLY meant to fly a route with the examiner, that's where things tend to go REALLY wrong if everyone is having a bad day. Example: you filed a runway 05 1w departure from point X and instead of getting that departure you suddenly get a 05 1y departure. What do you do? REad the plate and hope it's LESS complicated than the 05 1w departure. Oh dear now your flight plan is nothing like you planned.... what to do? praying comes to mind but faking an illness is more likely to get you out of the thick of it.

I've done the FAA IR single engine and thought it was hard, coming to the UK I felt as if I knew ABSOLUTELY nothing about NDB holds.

In retrospect I believe you should NEVER get an FAA IR. Money is better spent on a UK IR.

If it sounds like I disrespect the FAA IR then I'm sorry. I'm just trying to make sure you don't repeat the same mistake I made.