PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abolish the RAF, says Col. Tim Collins
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2006, 14:34
Climebear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazer-Hound
Roland Purfew

As I've already stated, the RAF capabilities the US supposedly considered 'essential' amount to about 20 aircraft in total, all of them old to ancient. In any event, I think we all realise the US could have done without the RAF's contribution completely if necessary.

What you and Climbear seem to be saying is that the RAF has certain niche capabilities that the US finds useful. In which case, why don't we invest in these capabilities instead of wasting billions on 232 Typhoon?
That's not what I am saying at all - others dragged us down that particular rabbit whole.

In any event, I think we all realise the US could have done without the RAF's contribution completely if necessary
Could be accurately rewritten as

In any event, I think we all realise the US could have done without the UK's military contribution completely if necessary.

Mead Pusher

We've civlianised Oakhanger - a contractor now runs the UK's mil sattelites. We still do BMEWS (OK the US could probably do it without us.. blah.. blah). That's not to say that the UK shouldn't have a concept of how it should use space based assets (wether military owned or military used). This concept was produced by the MOD alongside air in FASOC. I suppose that there is a certain degreee of logic here as no one can deny that Space is physically closer to Air than it is to the ground or the sea.

Remember, in space no one can hear you...