PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in florida
Thread: PPL in florida
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2006, 03:42
MOCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July

I'm sure you'll have a great time there.
Beware that there's often thunderstorms in the summer in the afternoon in Florida (and its very hot) so prepare to fly early - or very late.
Make sure you add extra time on for your stay - it is possible to get a PPL in two weeks, but VERY hard work - you will need at least three and then you might still not have enough time. The problem comes when you go solo/cross country navigation. You'll not be allowed to go unless conditions are good -- this is the main thing that often delays the PPL progress and why you should build in extra time - so make you you fly at least twice a day when you can incase there's a delay.
TAKE YOUR EXAMS HERE BEFORE YOU GO, you'll have more time to concentrate on the flying.
If you do finish early you should take a night rating, its only about 5 hours and much cheaper there. (Also remember night lasts all night so you may be able to persuade your instructor to fly early mornings rather than late nights).
Try not to arrive at the weekend, as I said there's no admin support for you.
If you have the cash available I'd recommend upgrading from the Cessna to the Cadet, they're much better - and they have more of them so if any go tech there's more choice available, however that's personal preference.
If you have time, try and get used to listening to American ATC, follow the link below, getting used to the way they say things will help your progress.
http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=class-b
Take some Cadbury's Dairy Milk for Morag in Ops!!
Have a great time at OFT, I'm sure you will, and be prepared to have a few hours with an instructor here to get used to airspace/rt when you come back.