PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working a day off in EK
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2006, 21:49
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zomp

You are correct. The 203 had no Captains until only several hours before with one of the skippers coming onto this straight after sick leave. So desperate are they that crewing agreed to a week off after the trip.

Okay, I will put up my hand and admit that I have worked on a day off before. Once, last year and that's been it. I did not, however, negotiate 7 days off after as I know that's screwing my mates. When people do things like that, they may well be helping short term but it's not until 'flagship' flights such as EK203 remain grounded that the Company will recruit the correct number of Pilots. Working on your day off and stating terms will, without doubt, involve roster changes for others and has a knock on effect which can last for days.

I'm NOT militant and want the best for Emirates BUT, it really is time for the management to get a grip and employ more Pilots. To do that involves offering salaries that will attract. When the Company appears to be focused as it is on more profit and productivity, it makes you wonder if the guys at the very top are being fed the truth. Current sham regarding upgrades that DON'T comply with the holy grail that is the FOM reflects the face saving that is crippling this Company.

Harry