PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abolish the RAF, says Col. Tim Collins
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2006, 15:52
Lazer-Hound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Climebear
Unlike our land breatheren that rarely work in combined formations (below division) the Air world has been working in the combined world for many years (multi-national COMAOs were a common occurance in Cold War days) so interoperability with allies isn't new.

The waisting of ramp space! As opposed the the ramp space took up by the RAF provision of TacRecce (something the USAF doesn't do a lot of), Air Refueling (crucial for USN), STORMSHADOW equipped aircraft...

Not to mention the RAF SH and RN CF that flew when their US counterparts refused.

The RAF is just as much of a supporting arm of the USAF (and USN air) as the British Army is to the US Army - discuss.

One could say the same for everything else the UK took to theatre - including an understrength UK division (2 x lt 1 x armd). National political stances aside, the kit that went was used and was needed by the Coalition.

Token efforts - my ARRSE.
I'm willing to bet the USAF/USN/USMC provided a lot more manned and unmanned tacrecce than the RAF did. The RAF's AAR fleet was irrelevant as far as USAF was concerned, being unable to refuel USAF aircraft. As for Stormshadow -what did that do that any number of US systems couldn't?

Unaware of the US forces refusing to fly when the RAF/RN would - perhaps you'd elucitdate and provide a link? I