PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL Qualifier Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2006, 08:55
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TurboJ,

With respect, you are talking complete rubbish!

If students come to you and ask you for advice, then by all means feel free to give it to them. But it is not the responsibility of the PPL school, nor the CPL school - it is the responsibility of the student to do the 300nm x-country, and to ensure that it is long enough and has the required land-aways.

I did not consult with anyone before I did mine. In fact, I did not even consult with myself. I did a long x-country, which was intended to be a there-and-back, but needed to stop on the way for a toilet break. It was only later that I realised that I had inadvertently met the requirements, so that became my qualifying x-country. What's more, I did this before I'd even thought about which school I was going to use for my CPL (in fact, before I'd even started the written exams), so there was no way of getting any input from my school even if I'd asked them!

About the only input a school can really have, beyond what the student can see for themselves by looking at a map, is suggesting airfields which are interesting, especially if the student does not know the local area very well. There are plenty of pilots who can suggest interesting airfields to visit, interesting routes, and so on. Many of these are to be found in the clubhouse or the bar of your local GA airfield, others can be found here on PPRuNe, and still more at just about any flying school.

I have to admit that I find it quite surprising that dwshimoda can't think of anywhere to go by himself, but given that he has asked for help, that help can come from a number of sources. My suggestion would be to find the recent thread about Your Favourite GA Airfield (which I think got moved to the Private Flying forum), and pick out two airfields you like the sound of and haven't been to before. Doesn't matter where they are, as long as they are sufficiently far from home to qualify.

FFF
-----------------