PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in florida
Thread: PPL in florida
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2006, 02:51
MOCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OFT, some advice

Generally OFT is quite a good place, however I've been there a few times now and would like to pass on the following advice based on my experience with OFT:
1: Make sure you check and double check with them (and the hotel) to ensure you have a reservation for your first night. It is not uncommon to arrive (particularly at weekends when there's no admin suport) to find your room for the night hasn't been booked. This even happened to a CAA examiner from the UK!!! (And yes I can prove it)
2: You must take control of your own programme because they will not do it for you. While I was there I met a number of guys who simply ran out of time (for a number of reasons) and left without taking their test. When you get there tell them you're leaving a few days before you actually are, and work to this (it will give you much more felxibility).
3: Remember you are the customer. Sometimes they have to change flight times for operational reasons, but OFTEN bookings just get changed and they don't tell you. I'e you'll get up early, go all the way down to the airport and find instead of flying at 7am they've changed your slot to 1300. Complain, complain, complain.
4: They don't have enough PPL examiners - while I was there they made one guy wait 5 days for his test. There's a really friendly freelance CAA examiner called Paul Thompson, who is often available at short notice. They don't like to us him for PPL because they prefer the cash to go to the staff examiners - however YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER. (I would recommend Paul first in ANY event)
5: Training often gets disrupted due to overcast or bad weather, but always remember all US instructors must have an instrument rating. So if you're running out of time and the weather's bad at Kissimmee but its ok at Ocala (or elsewhere) insist you fly up there, they CAN do it.
6: Take USD in cash they will charge you 2% on credit cards (this is not unique to OFT) alternatively if you book through Cabair, pay them (by cheque if you like) then get Cabair to transfer it and you won't be charged and you'll get a good rate.
7: Check you paperwork before leaving: make sure you hassle them for course completion certificates. I had to ask 15 times for mine - the CAA will not issue without it. Also on CPL applications (and maybe PPL, you'll need to check) you kneed the application form signed off by your training providewr. Do NOT leave Florida without it.

Last edited by MOCA; 17th May 2006 at 03:02.