PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armenian A320 crash whilst attempting to land in bad weather
Old 16th May 2006, 22:55
arn3696

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Founder
What I'm thinking of is that the aircraft was already at low altitude, (less then 1000 ft) and sinking -300 ft/min in bad weather at low speed, needing to abort an approach and do a hard right turn which looks by the graphics as at least 30° bankangle... this is a tough manouver to do for any pilot...?
Founder...
Im not entirely sure whether im on the right track here, nor do I know what graphics you refer to, but I think you may be slightly confused about this procedure.

A missed approach procedure is published to direct pilots after an approach is aborted for whatever reason. The turns depicted on the plates however have no scale as quite obviously different aircraft travelling at different speeds have a different turn radius. All turns on instrument procedures should be rate 1 (ie 3 degrees a second). On a seneca for example this may be about 20 degrees of bank but on an aircraft travelling much faster this will be increased to maybe 30 degrees which, as said in a previous post, is quite normal for an airliner. I think its safe to say that the angle of bank wasnt the only cause of the trouble encountered.

Chris