PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armenian A320 crash whilst attempting to land in bad weather
Old 16th May 2006, 21:14
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Founder
What I'm thinking of is that the aircraft was already at low altitude, (less then 1000 ft) and sinking -300 ft/min in bad weather at low speed, needing to abort an approach and do a hard right turn which looks by the graphics as at least 30° bankangle... this is a tough manouver to do for any pilot...
I'm not that familiar with the A320 but I've done some reading about it and seen a lot of information videos but is the aircraft really so good as to survive a manouver like that? at such a low speed and at such a low altitude in those conditions?
Founder, with all due respect the technical points you raise show your complete lack of knowledge and I suggest you refrain from such unfounded speculation.

Sinking at 300fpm is not enough to be following a glideslope. A turn of 30° bankangle is a normal turn in a commercial airliner and hardly constitutes a 'tough' manoeuvre for ANY airline pilot, even in bad weather. as already pointed out, an A320 would be doing considerably less than 180kts below 1000'.

PP