PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomsonfly/Britannia
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2006, 20:59
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aslan
What is then the purpose of the sim session
It depends on what job you have applied for.

For a 200hr pilot trying for S/O entry they are looking for the basic instrument flying skills, an improvement and an ability to learn. Add into that a chunk of CRM and that's pretty much it.

If however you are a 737 captain trying for direct entry then expect to be assessed differently on the same profile. It would be reasonable to expect a direct entry captain to be able to fly his current type to LPC standard. As with any sim assessment, especially for direct entry captain, the brief is the brief. If they throw something extra at you then you should be able to handle it. If they just keep loading you up until you fail then they are probably not worth working for.

If you are a 200hr guy and they throw something at you that is not in the brief then it serves a couple of purposes;

1. It probably means you are doing quite well and they want to see how much extra capacity you have, and

2. They may want to find out how you handle something 'out of the ordinary', not necessarily expecting you to 'ace' it, just inquisitive.

Either way, your mission is to remain cool and collected and just remember, Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. It is better to fly the machine well than answer the capacity questions about age in months etc. Served me well, as I never did manage to answer the question they threw at me and just kept saying "STANDBY", however I remained nailed to 4000' and 230kts as requested!

PP