PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VIRGIN PACIFIC GOES AIRBUS
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2006, 19:52
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Firstly the -600 is not that more expensive to operate than a 777, especially when you get rebates from Airbus as it is not meeting design specs. Secondly compare the costs to setting up an ETOPS operation for 777s and they are even cheaper.
Yep that must be why every man and his dog is lining up to buy them..especially the 600....it makes sense that the airbus salesmen are paying customers to take them of their hands
ETOPs expensive? give me strength....its actually less expensive and no more rigorous that operating a 4 engined gas guzzler..but I guess you didn't know that 4 trent 800's vs 2 x GE90's or Trents?..you do the maths.
I would expect service and cabin fit to be along the lines of VS as they already operate the type and so can give background help for ops and startup, so further cutting costs.
Orrrr (as one who has a bit more insider knowledge of VS..and the tie ups with DJ than you could possibly imagine) it might just be that VS have put it upon themselves to palm off some of the 600 order they have already committed to...in the direction of a receptive potential subsidiary in order for them to look at a more worthwhile option.