PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dust approach and landing.
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2006, 19:21
Line_book

Dust/snow

I have spent quite a bit of time in dust and snow, so here is my tuppence! The amount of recirculation can vary hugely depending on the thickness of the sand or temp of the snow, but the technique doesnt vary too much. If it is light then it can be blown away from a highish hover. However, I would usually prefer to stick to a known method.

I will do a good recce first, especially noting wind, pick good markers - both for your approach, but also for your overshoot. Pick a good clear route out for you overshoot and note the heading, and brief it. Most importantly of all is a good solid marker on the ground to approach to. This needs to be fixed, and not likely to blow away. If you it is a pre-arranged LS, get someone to put a marker down for you before. A tractor tyre, a gerry can full of water, a couple of building blocks - all good markers. If you cant get that improvise. A small shrub/bush, a log whatever. I have used tracks at times. There is usually something - even in the desert. Set up for a gentle decelerative approach to aim to land zero/zero, with minimum flare. If you have time - give yourself 2-300 ft and set up your approach. The dust cloud will generally start to bulid up at a height of 2-3 times your rotor diameter. At that point you want to be still going forward, with gradual deceleration. If in doubt go a practice a load first without dust. Fly down to your marker, and NEVER lose sight of it. Imagine a fixed line from it to you pulling you down that line. It wants to be right in front of your right foot when you touch down (if in right seat). If you lose your marker - overshoot straight away, and set up again in your own time. Dont be rushed into it. If you brown out - straight to instruments. AI - wings level- maybe slight (very slight) nose down, and apply power positively to get you away from the ground. Remember your overshoot heading. You should be climbing forward by now. Stick witht he instruments until you are clear of the cloud. Too many people have stacked it by letting the nose drop, and ploughing into the ground.

Overall, everyhing needs to be smooth, gentle movements. Nothing harsh, especially at the end. Avoid flaring - accept a slight run off if you can. Most importantly - if you dont like it overshoot early - no shame in that. Much better than explaining why you tried to push on in a brownout!