PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2006, 10:24
Barney Stubble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a big PPruner, but thought I would add my twopenneth from the viewpoint of the BARPers in this whole debate.

Hand Solo,

I just love your hardline views! you are right that BARPers and APS are insignificant at the moment, and certainly couldn't run a schedule by themselves, although I would like to correct you that there are 300 in BARP (and growing by the week).

The point is not what happens now as a result of the proposed changes to NAPS, but what happens in 10 or so years time. Of course you may not care because you may be long gone by then, but many of your colleagues will be around and BARP will by then be 50%+ of the pilots. If there is still a NAPS deficit as there certainly would be if the scheme is not changed now, then would there be any support for your strike then? Of course not and the company could drastically reduce the benefits without opposition. Those taking the pain will be those with more than 10 years to serve from now. So to be fair to all NAPS members it is more equitable to make the scheme affordable and sustainable for the long term now, which means cuts.

Human Factor,

A rare voice of reason on this forum!

Unfortunately those in BARP already have no pot to pee in so have nothing to lose in this fight anyway. If however BALPA stands by its promises and demands an industry leading contribution to BARP as part of the overall negotiation then a unity of membership may yet be acheived. This is important not just for this issue but for all future issues, as I have already pointed out that BARP members will ultimately be the majority of pilots in BA.

From where I sit, 15% of gross salary company contribution is the industry standard for defined contribution schemes eg Virgin. Compared to the 30% plus that BA is paying into NAPS that is cheap by comparison, so is not an unreasonable demand.

Barney