PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How old are current wanabees?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2006, 06:38
Cold_Blue_95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You young guns..

You young guns out there have a considerable advantage... I'm 32 years old now and just beginning flight training. A point that is both fortunate and unfortunate at the same time is the fact that I'm already married, have kids, a big house with a bigger mortgage, and have already established myself in a different career. To put it simply, I doubt I'll ever be able to be an airline pilot, because I just can't afford to take the necessary pay-cut to "Pay my dues" before working up to the great gig in the sky. At best, I'll might be able to get a CFI and MEI and do some part time instructing at a small flight school as I charge ahead with my other career. You guys who are young and single have the future cut out for you. You can sacrifice here and there to pay the dues and work your way into that Boeing. As for me, spending 7 days a week instructing, for 1/3 the pay, and then relocating to take a first officer gig is just not possible, unless of course I politely inform the wife and kids that were going to sell the house, move to a shack, and be dirt poor for the next few years. I envy you guys; you got your whole life ahead of you, and you'll be able to live it in the air!