PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Porter Airlines
Thread: Porter Airlines
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2006, 22:06
Alpine Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphopper
plus it is the law here in Austria that we get a 13 (June), and 14 (November) salary where the income is only taxed at 6%....
Dash 8 and CRJ pilots at Austrian Arrows are probably better paid than their US counterparts. Have a look at http://www.tyrolean-brb.org for contract info and a salary table.

13th and 14th salary are not a law but in the contract, though. (Although 99% of employees get it through various umbrella CLAs.)

All my visits to Toronto have been very brief and I doubt that cost of living is hugely different from Austria. Buying food seemed about equally expensive while housing and cars are probably cheaper. Consumer goods (all electronics) were at least 10% cheaper over here when I last visited.

As for quality of living, that's depends a lot on what you like. For many Europeans Toronto isn't so much a "city" at all, as it is a lot of houses and people. "Downtown" Toronto seems a bit lame when compared to European cities, but that comparison is probably as unfair as asking an Austrian for the nearest floatplane flying school.