PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avantages of PRNAV approaches
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2006, 19:49
Spitoon

Originally Posted by Sphinx
enables a reduction in RT workload for ATCO's I'm not sure of the full range of advantages for ATC,
Don't know about LGW specifically but I can't see why RT workload would fall significantly.

Originally Posted by Sphinx
My thoughts would be that if traffic was heavy radar vectors would have to be used and if traffic is light no-one wants to do a full arrival.
Yup, my thoughts too (certainly for the next ten years - ask me again then when the little black boxes on the aircraft are talking to the little black boxes on the ground and both pilots and controllers are there simply to keep the passengers happy by thinking we can take over if the computers fail!)

The main benefit as far as I am aware is that no ground equipment is required. Some aircraft are coming out of the factory now without ADF rx so if the ILS fails and the only alternative is an NDB the aircraft would have to divert - having a RNAV approach means that most of the time the aircraft could still make an approach. .7 is, of course, correct too - prove the viability of PRNAV at somewhere like LGW and you're one step towards using the same at one of those less salubrious airports or for Cat II/III.