PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF JPA Rollout
Thread: RAF JPA Rollout
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2006, 17:20
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mr Chinecap, I am, in a manner of speaking, my MTO. The point I was making was not service driving but when you drive your own vehicle the rules do not apply.

This means that you can get up at o'christ hundred, drive like a maniac, do a day's work, skip tea, and drive like a maniac back to mother. Some of you will have accidents, some of these will involve fatalities.

DCINC has said that this is unacceptable and that private driving should conform to service rules. For instance if you are working all day Monday you would probably be unfit to proceed the night before and night stop prior to your meeting. Similarly after your meeting and rush home you are probably not out of rest until later the next day. The temptation of being in bed with Mrs C may outweigh your discretion and the pressure you are under to do the work task means you do a full day's work either side too. The hours just don't add up.

Years ago I tried to introduce a 'fixed' programme concept:

Monday 0900 Met Brief - 1000 mission planning, 1700 into crew rest, 0500 show time, airborne 0800, land 1300, debrief 1500 and stack. The programme for the 5 hour trip would automatically cover two days. No, slip in a sim, do orderly officer, war target study etc.

On Shacks we started with something like that:

Monday-Friday one crew on Ops, which meant a rest period for most of the crew.

One crew on QRA - at home at rest and so on.

As the task expanded, the manning shrank etc so the 'duty crew was used to back fill flying crews. The QRA crew was called in for light duties in the morning etc. Even when the QRA crew did a full morning's work and were stood-down to rest at home they were often called in and launched later in the evening clocking up some 16 hours face time.

As someone said earlier, most things are not important and some things do not matter at all. With our caring sharing air force you should make sure you get your share and take care of yourself. No one else will.