PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you buy a twin without anti-ice?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2006, 10:42
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely the answer to your question depends on what you're going to use your new twin for? If you're planning on doing serious touring around the UK, then I would say de-icing is pretty much essential.

On the other hand, if you're thinking about basing your aircraft in Africa, or only flying in VMC (but maybe you want a second engine for more peace of mind over water or at night), or you are buying the aircraft for a flying school which will do initial multi-engine ratings predominantly in VMC, then de-icing is overkill.

There are probably in infinite number of situations in between, too. I know of pilots with PPL/IRs or very current PPL/IMCs who have de-iced twins, but are sufficiently wary of ice to want to drive rather than fly if icing is forecast. It's not a view I subscribe to, as long as the aircraft is suitably equipped, but it's their right to have this point of view. For these people, de-icing is probably overkill, but maybe they prefer to spend the money for peace of mind in case they find themselves in a situation where they need it.

More information needed!

FFF
---------------