PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abolish the RAF, says Col. Tim Collins
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2006, 20:48
Almost_done

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnd
JHC a point in case.
JHC ah yes a great leap forward.

Now as an engineer/technician of 21 yrs service with an in-depth knowledge of either Puma or Chinook Airframes, I may be offered some degree of latitude of my men, disposition work patterns etc. but no not when we go purple my JT’s/SACQ-OPS do not rank alongside Lance Jacks, I have Corporals older than most of the WO2, in fact I am a Sgt who is older then the WO1 but, we must bend to the strict hierarchical orders of the Army on joint ops. God, Ploche was an Army run disaster, did they listen to the RAF no, we know better was basically the reply.

What the Army/Navy forgets to remember is that the RAF train their men/women to question and not obey blindly. That is why we make better techies and will work when pressed to make the slot as we see the bigger picture.

I have had very poor treatment from Cpl/Sgt AAC before I was promoted to the dizzy heights of Sgt in RAF, now I am waiting to go on joined ops as a Sgt.

One final quote, from a Sgt Army RLC returning from Jordan with a RAF det, ‘I’m surprised the RAF have Junior Ranks as they all seem to be older then my SNCO’s’. All I will say is do not judge a RAF Tradesman by their Rank, we have Sac’s in rank for 15 yrs not by their attitude but by the system they work in.

Therefore these guys have a greater and a more in depth experience than the 3 yr Lance Jack and when on Joint Ops the Lance Jack starts to scream as the RAF lads don’t act the way he’s used to they dig their heels in, I don’t blame them, I support them and tell him to wind his neck in.

Anyway looking forward to TLE and SS comments