PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abolish the RAF, says Col. Tim Collins
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2006, 20:46
Gnd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Almost_done
Where the RAF stays dispassionate from both forces we are able to provide the best service to both where we can, with our limited resources.
Yes you may say well we can do this better, but can you?
The RAF of all the forces has needed major financial backing to project into the future, but has been left behind in trying to drag the Army into the technological age and we have the Senior Service crying over their Carriers (which is a debate I shall not go into here)
The Army god bless them, cannot operate a technologically advanced aircraft, they do not have the expertise. They are trying to strip the RAF of Techies to operate their A/C, leaving capability gaps in the RAF now, I know of 5 JT/SAC Q-OPS now working at Wattisham for the AAC, taken from 1 A/C operating base.
I am not sure if the Army needs dragging (a tad condescending to them, me thinks) as the have only taken your services advice and not put the Apache on the streets until it is ready - from industry. I believe that there are still major capability gaps in the Typhoon.

You could also argue that your forces over manning has resulted in the Army assisting by giving employment to your spare techs, or are you also saying that there is an intellect gap between the RAF and Army techs, I don’t believe you really mean that. The Apache is quite complicated so the CH47 and Merlin probably wouldn't be beyond a tech, regardless of force.

The correct point is that we are all puppets of our masters (4* and up) who have been accustomed to our way of life (Service Ethos) All I can say I got use to the changes imposed over the past 24 years so you, and all of us, may have to face the inevitable and embrace it to make it work - we are all the same really - we all smell after a long run either toward a foe, or away!!!