PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings Scheme thread
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2006, 17:40
bjkeates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by future captain
Cheerz for the advice guyz, ill give the exam boards a quick call.
Also my m8's been bugging me to ask for ages, on the ctc site it says 2 alevels at c or above OR honours degree at 2:2 min. Now he has good gcse results afaik 6 a's but his alevels arnt as good, he is taking a foundation year atm, and will have a comp sci degree from good university in 3 yrs after the foundation year to brush up his maths. So with the degree could he apply even though he doesnt have the two alevels at c.
Yes, I assume so. If you've got an 2:2 honours degree, it would imply that you probably have the capability to learn and understand what you need to be successful at training, and this is why they specify it. The only thing I would say is that although this would pre-qualify him to enter as far as the minimum requirements go, I don't know how the selection team would react to seeing the lower grade A-levels on the entry form - it's quite clear that they DO look at your academic and extra-curricular activities and achievements. Also, when it comes to airline selection, the lower A-levels may be looked in a less favourable light by the airlines who are looking at higher qualifications than GCSEs more and more. Having said that, computer science is a hard subject and getting a 2:2 at a good university would probably look pretty good. I would point out that I've made it on to the course having got good A-levels and although I'm currently doing a maths degree, CTC haven't specified a certain result of this as a condition for confirmation of my place, so it seems that filling at least one of the criteria will be OK. Certainly with a 2:2 degree your mate would be eligible to apply; if the A-levels weren't good, however, it might not be wise to apply before he's had his degree result confirmed. I was asked about my predicted result in my interview.

If he meets the minimum requirements, I wouldn't discourage him from applying - definitely go for it, it's a great scheme. You really have nothing to lose (apart from the expense of the trips to Bournemouth and the stage 2 day and in the grand scheme of things it isn't that great an amount.)

[pedantic mode] I don't mean to have a go, but good spelling and grammar is also pretty essential - there are quite a few forms to fill out as you proceed through the application process which WILL be scrutinised heavily by the selection team. Might be an idea to try and get into the habit! [/pedantic mode]

Last edited by bjkeates; 13th May 2006 at 18:07.