PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Porter Airlines
Thread: Porter Airlines
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2006, 17:11
Alphopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks CPL Pilot!

I think the others are a little green around the gills!! My family has relatives in Vancouver and where I live in Austria the cost of living is far less than in Vancouver. Just face the facts.... we are better paid, have a better social net (not just 12 days of sick leave per year.... you can be gone for 6 months and get full pay for the first four then a 2/3 after that, plus all medical costs paid for by the government)... and we can start on a 777, 340, 320, 737, Dash8 400, F70/100, CRJ, etc etc etc... with 200 hrs.... while our cousins in Canada visit chief pilots in some northern dump every year just to get to drive the fork lift for the summer (read Buffalo Joe in YellowKnife).... then after a few years of that they have the priveledge of fueling and getting closer to the right seat.... I know this because my cousins went this route and I must say: I have respect for those who do it.... but Aviation in North America is not top notch for guys starting out..... and the salaries at the top end don't match up with Europe... A good house with 1000 square meter garden is around 220 000 Euros, car prices are the same (average) and the food is better too! Austria doesn't allow any gene manipulated food or feed for animals, we have the strictest (worldwide) quality control on food (domestic) and import..... and the majority of what you buy is "biologicaly controlled"..... jogurt is jogurt... not gelatin with some American syrup made from Glucose (from genetically manipulted corn) and colorign for color.... it is the real deal..... mind you the steroid free Charlois beef from Alberta is the best I have ever had!! Ja, after a good bitch.... somethings swing the scale left and some things make it go right......
Happy landings