PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wanabee looking for advice
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2006, 22:01
FlingWingKing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pilotdreamz

I have been involved in aviation for the past 18 years, 12 of those as a pilot. I started my flying career at age 24 and can truely say that I have not worked one day in my life!

This is an AWESOME job and you will enjoy it immensly. It has its ups and downs like any other career, but you will love it!!

Although you are starting your flying career at a fairly late stage, dont let that worry you too much. You still have at least 34 years in the bag......if you stay healthy.

I do not know if you are aware of this, but we are facing a global shortage of pilots...as it was pre-911. Boeing has announced that they forecast a global need of 18000 pilots a year until 2024. ICAO recently ammended their legal flying age from 60 to 65 years of age.

On the issue of picking a flying school: Do your research and dont settle for the cheapest one. A few schools were mentioned, like 43, but also take into account what time of year you plan to start you training. Central Flying Acadamy at Grand Central airport near Johannesburg would be an option if you are planning to come to South Africa during our winter. Cape Town has awesome flying weather in summer, but like someone mentioned, it might me beneficial to do it in Johannesburg. (Better exposure to the industry)

Go get your dream......good luck and safe landings.