PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recreational PPL possibility in NZ
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2006, 17:45
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil

Well my post brought a variety of responses as might have been expected.

In the UK our NPPL system covering single piston engine aeroplanes, microlights and self launching motor gliders has proved a success and has lowered the cost of licence acquisition considerably along with a huge reduction in medical certification costs. The previous chief medical officer at our CAA, Dr Simon Janvrin, was enormously helpful in weighing the probability of pilot incapacitation while in flight. His research has meant that there now exists a far more realistic alternative system for those who wish to fly for private, sporting and recreational purposes in the UK. The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) is intending to extend this across all the European Community nations.

In the USA the FAA has recently introduced the Sport Pilots Licence however, in my considered opinion and with four years experience of the UK system, it has little to commend it when compared with the NPPL in the UK.

Talking to a fair number of NZ pilots during my holiday showed that many of your conventional flying training organisations are having a hard time with fewer folk learning to fly due to cost factors.

A system similar to that in the UK could have a really beneficial effect.

Cheers from a sunny UK having just returned from our 10 week Antipodean vacation. You really do have a fabulous country from so many points of view.

Trapper 69