PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abolish the RAF, says Col. Tim Collins
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2006, 13:30
TheInquisitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We can't function without an army or navy, but we can manage without the RAF.
Really, Sir? I would suggest that recent history says otherwise.
I guess then that all the troops in theatres various, and all their equipment, got themselves there, did they? And that they magically disappear from one location in theatre and reappear in another, in a safe and timely fashion? Try getting a civilian contractor to do in-theatre airlift.

Typical that you think the RAF is all about fast jets. Air Transport is the key to EVERYTHING you do, and Tactical Air Transport is something the Army AND RN have absolutely NO experience of. Without it, you can do very little. We have decades and decades of unique experience in this vital field - not something that can be taught simply by transferring the AT fleet over to the other services for a few years.

Given that it's taken the Army several YEARS to figure out how to slot Apache into the modern way of using airpower, I don't hold out much hope that they'd have ANY chance of running the lot.

This man displays the typical Army level of understanding of what the RAF does (ie, none). It would take YEARS to teach the Army how to operate an air force on the modern 'battlefield' - perhaps less so for the RN, since they have SOME experience of air power - but still, this translates into SPENDING money, not SAVING it! Given that we already struggle, the manpower reductions would be minimal. It would just mean the Army & RN absorbing what we already have - which is pointless.

'EEJIT!', as the man himself might say.

Last edited by TheInquisitor; 12th May 2006 at 13:41.