PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wanabee looking for advice
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2006, 10:51
Propellerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRT - it is fine if you are talking about your own standards. However I know there are many jobs worse than bush flying - and so far if working for reputable companies it is actually not too bad and times not spent at home are not always that long and there are chances of actually finding a partner that will go along with it.

I did a lot of Safari-Guiding, driving those Overland Trucks and Landrovers and I must say that that job, which is also a profession is a quite deal harder as one not only has to drive, but also has to be the Guide to the Tourists, has to cook their meals three times a day, pitch up tents (!!!) and listen to their lifestories and problems for three and a half weeks from Cape Town to Vic Falls. Flying Bush will be an absolute Jol against that and a good experience. I do like dealing with people and offering Tourists unique experiences, I think being locked up in front in the cockpit of an airliner will be extreamly monotonous and boring - it will be my pax that will make every trip unique. They will not always all be great, some will be a pain, but others will actually be very pleasant. If one becomes an asset to a company they will in time stop exploiting you - if you are just there to collect your hours and leave ASAP, it is understandeble that they will exploit you, because you are doing just the same vice versa.

The more guys here hate bush flying - the better for me ! it is all a matter of personal preference.

I agree that a normal pilot carreer for us will be hard, that's why I made the effort of writing this, to give the original poster an idea to keep his mind open for alternatives, if he does not do so, I would also recommend doing a normal Job and go hire out a Club PA28 or a C172 to go flying. Quite correctly so because a regular airline carreer for us is most probably too late. But you never know - maybe we will spend the last 10 years before pension behind the controls of a GV or a Global or even if it is a HawkerXP - who knows?? Lots of those guys started late and as bush jockeys.