PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How old are current wanabees?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2006, 10:32
JamesTigris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working and saving, how quick out of the frying pan?

I'd like to second Another Biggles and Dave Martain in asking exactly how guys are achieving fATPLs buy the age of 19 and under.

I'm just finishing a Masters degree in Physics and am 22 years old. I've got hours under my belt from the UAS and I've worked in OPS and for NATS so I'd count myself as pretty committed to aviation. I'd be expecting a salary of around £20-25k before tax when I graduate and by my calculations that is not enough to replicate Dct_Bombi's required funds to pay for training loan-free (see below*).

I'm really curious to understand how less qualified/experienced guys are able to afford it before I'd finished my first year! Not having a go at people doing it straight from school, just mystified by the mechanics of it.

*If I assume my first job pays for food, rent/mortgage, bills, commuting and simply exsisting as well as saving £5,000 then I'll need another £15,000 earned from my second job to reach a target of £20,000 saved per year (reaching £60,000 in three years). Assuming I graft for 5 days in the week extra to my 1st job (at weekends plus a few days in the week too!) and knock off 10 days for illness, exhaustion and holiday then I'm left with 250 days in the year to fill with part time work. 15,000/250=£60 per day (ignoring tax!!). Thats a full working day behind the checkout! I'm pretty sure even Sir Alan's new Apprentice would think that a little ambitous to fit in at the end of a 7am-7pm commuting day!