PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2006, 05:04
diginagain

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whilst not wishing to drag this thread on any further than the Regulars would want, I have to agree with mgdaviso's point. Despite being ex-AAC, my local ATC Squadron welcomed me with open arms. Each member of the adult staff have shown me nothing but courtesy, and seem to genuinely appreciate the input and insight on Service life, ethos and values that I bring. The cadets equally, if not more so.

As a cadet in the mid-1970s, the vast majority of the adult staff had served at some stage - my first OC was a former Spitfire driver from the BoB - and we looked up to these people for inspiration. Since so few of the population of the UK are exposed to Service life these days, it is no wonder that the ACO at Squadron level has to accept those with a 'civilian-only' background. Those with whom it has been my pleasure to work would want the ATC to retain its links with the RAF, lest it become just another youth club.

Now, could we get on with providing potential recruits to the Services with some useful skills, and drop the sniping?

Edited for spelling, as my caffeine autoject misfired.

Last edited by diginagain; 12th May 2006 at 07:12.