PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Transat crew not to blame in A330 emergency landing in the Azores
Old 6th Feb 2002, 16:47
hugoloureiro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I can tell you one thing. The pilots are not off the hook just yet. My hat is off to them for putting that plane on the ground, it takes a huge amount of skill and Airmanship to do so, however it could have been avoided if the pilots would have done the cross-check of their fuel with the operational flight plan, specially on a long flight. Obviously there are some diferences between the flight plan fuel and the actual fuel, because there's always a lot of factors involved but you can get a close ideia of what your fuel should be. I fly for an airline (A320/1) and the fuel system although a bit diferent from the A330, it operates on the same concept and it is true that there is no warning of fuel leak on the ECAM, you might get fuel imbalance intitially followed by low fuel ecam warning. But the pilots are to blame for not cross-checking the Burn-off. I know the Airbus has it's glitches but if two lazy ass pilots are seating there, any airplane would have come down. And as for putting the Flight engineer back on. Well, that is just some ex-FE out of a job right now, thinking he would have save the day...yeah right...