PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Endorsement Approval.
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2006, 00:01
TurboOtter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that even though Chuckles and Buzzy have strange names, their thoughts are bang on the money.
CASA SHOULD READ THIS FORUM IF NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

Green pilots teaching new pilots = even greener pilots that then teach new pilots = even greener pilots etc.... you can see the picture.

yes a low time pilot can give you the fundamentals, we've all done our training and we know the drill, but as Chuckles sort of said, when sh#t hits the fan it hardly ever follows a text book, I know from my experiences of fans shutting down and other events, the text book didn't even come close, so the ability to memorize everything in books will not save you, your ability to take that knowledge to fill in the gaps and make your own decisions is the ONLY way to survive.

I have heard a rumour that even CASA are realising that green pilots shouldn't be instructing, for it truely is a case of the blind leading the blind, for they have seen a decline in the "piloting" ability that the more experienced instructors used to be able to pass on.

MBA747 yes you need to have minimums, and I don't think their minimums are want needs to be changed, the industry needs to be changed to encourage more experienced pilots to become instructors, how do you do that, money.

Another way of getting the experience back into the instructing business is tomake it easier for pilots with real experience to teach.THere are countries in the big world of ours that believe if a pilot has a reasonable amount of experience on a type ofm achine, then they should be able to give endorsements for the machine. What would be wrong with that?

As for the mention of working for free etc.. I firmly believe that working for free should be against the law and these pilots should be black listed, you don't see Doctors or Lawyers working for free do you and you Doctor was working for free you would be out of there pronto! We are professionals with the general public lives in our hands, and we should be paid accordingly!

Just one last bit of food for thought.
If it could be considered "ok" for green pilots to teach new pilots, why do the defence forces not follow this example and instead use their "best" to become instructors. Maybe some goverment fly boys could tell us more. But isn't it easier to get posted to a job flying rubber dog sh#t out of Hong Kong on a 707 than to get a posting doing advanced jet training?