PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - class 1/2/NPPL Medical rules madness!!
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2006, 21:05
SAS-A321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Discrimination?

I have -7.00 on both eyes and is close to give up my dream of becoming a professional pilot, because of the JAR limit at -5.00.

The medical reason:

I have written to JAA medical department and asked them... WHY???
I got this explenation, that us people with bad eyesight are more at risk of getting a disease(s) in our eyes!?

My eye doctor denies this, by saying that we are just as exposed as people not wearing glasses or lenses.

The bla bla reason:

Losing your glasses or a lense is also a reason stated by many.
Well I have been wearing lenses for several years and I have never experienced that they suddenly popped out of my eyes.
When I wore glasses I did rollercoasters with them on... anyone know Space Mountain in Euro Disney?

The chance of loosing your glasses or lenses performing as a pilot is just as big as getting a fly in one eye in the cockpit.

The evil reason:

One person once wrote to me asking me why they should accept people with poor vision if they could get people with better vision.
Me having a poor eyesight does not make me a worse pilot than a guy with normal vision.

Kengineer-130: I have a JAR Class 2 medical, but I am quite sure that if you and I were flying together and we both lost our glasses or lenses, I would be just as lost as you in regards to VFR. Like a pilot with a Class 1 medical with -4.50 would be just as lost as me.

To me the eyesight limits by the JAA is discrimination. There is no sane explanation and I bet that there will never be!