PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Transat crew not to blame in A330 emergency landing in the Azores
Old 5th Feb 2002, 08:41
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Greetings Captain104: My comments were off-topic regarding Airbus technology.

But anyway, an article years ago in "The Wall Street Journal" claimed that a former CEO of a major US airline lost his "golden parachute" (worth millions?) during an airline buyout, because it was "alleged" that he had taken a bribe (Bestechung?) from Airbus, which is illegal under US law, with the help from a member of a certain government coalition, who was then also on the board of Airbus. That is what the article stated. The former CEO was probably the first US, or North American airline CEO to have ordered the A-320 series, according to the same newspaper article. It is best that I not mention, at least in public, the names of the two individuals.

For years I have found it very interesting that such foreign civil aircraft compete around the world (possibly at or below cost?) with the help of taxpayer subsidies, while at the same time, US tax dollars are not allowed to help US Boeing civilian aircraft (except for the development of the "707" Dash 80/KC-135 in the 50's) compete in the world market. If someone can show that this information is incorrect, then I will be glad to admit it, no sweat.

Somebody send me an e-mail if you want to find out who the two "alleged" guys are, etc. Y'all fly safe out there, and watch out for rock-filled mountains, Alpen, and so on.

Excuse me, I have a Microsoft 'mission' to fly, but first with the sluggish Wildcat or maybe the water-injected Hellcat or Corsair, if not the P-38?

[ 05 February 2002: Message edited by: Ignition Override ]

[ 05 February 2002: Message edited by: Ignition Override ]</p>