PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 10th May 2006, 21:35
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a lighter note here is what a concerned citizen wants us to do;

Write to: [email protected]

SHAME THEM INTO ACTION

10:30 - 09 May 2006
I saw a BBC story this morning regarding the largest loss of British personnel in Iraq to date, namely the 10 people who lost their lives in an RAF Hercules crash in January 2005.

Again it would appear that this loss of life may have been prevented if the right protective equipment had been fitted.

Apparently, such equipment has been fitted to similar American aircraft since the 1970s.

Yet, was it only a couple of weeks ago that we heard that I and other taxpayers had allegedly paid some £7,500 (one-third of my annual income) to keep the unelected wife of the Prime Minister's hair in order?

I believe, in the Second World War, groups of people would band together and save to purchase hardware such as Spitfires to assist our armed forces in their fight against our then enemies.

Would it not be a good opportunity, through your fine publications, to take a straw poll of public opinion to see if the British public, which is most generous in giving to all good causes at home and abroad, would give to a cause providing our armed forces, who are risking their lives every day, with the right equipment to keep them as safe as any can when they are engaged in warfare.

This could possibly become a national issue or campaign and at long last embarrass the Government, for all the right reasons for once, into doing something good for the nation and those who defend it at home and abroad.

R J Limpenny, Leicester.