PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - class 1/2/NPPL Medical rules madness!!
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2006, 14:58
Kengineer-130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
class 1/2/NPPL Medical rules madness!!

Ok, now I can see the point of eyesight limits etc in a way, but there are a few things that have really got me angry in the last week or so, so I am going to vent my spleen and I welcome any sensible discussion on the points I raise!

1) I have a strong prescription (-11 diopters), but I correct to near perfect vison using normal lenses in my glasses (no varilux or bifocal etc). Now obviously this rules me well outside a class 1 medical, but to my surprise when I applied for my class 2 medical, I am well outside the limits for that as well . Now, I went and did my PPL in the states, passed all the exams and skills test without a hitch, did a night rating and 25 hours extra flying as well. I got a student medical there no problems, and I realize I should have checked before I went but now I may be stuck without a JAA class 2 medical to get the licence , which is most annoying! The thing that annoys me the most is that the doctor advised me that I may be restricted to a NPPL, as this only requires a signature by your GP that you are fit to fly based on being safe to drive
But how the hell is it sane that I should not be allowed a JAA PPL to fly in the same aircraft and airspace as I am allowed to on a NPPL??? am I more at risk on a JAA PPL?? or do mid air collisions hurt less if you are flying on an NPPL? Madness

2) The doctor I saw made the point that should I loose my glasses in flight, VFR would be almost impossible due to my high prescription. But consider the following points. a) How often do glasses just fall off or break? b) if you wear corrective lenses, you are required by law to carry a spare set with you at all times when you are flying. I do, and also carry sunglasses (which no pilot should be without!) that are to my prescription. What are the odds of loosing or breaking 3 pairs of glasses in one flight? has anyone heard of any accidents or incidents that have occured due to circumstances like this?

3) I have passed my solo, my skills test and all my flying has been safe and trouble free, I have had NO incidents of not spotting traffic etc, my instructors had NO problems whatsoever with my performance, whats the problem?

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant (well it is really I suppose), but I just find the rules on eyesight ill thought out and almost insulting, as they basically say that just becasue you wear glasses you are less safe than someone who doesn't The FAA has a sensible stance on this problem, basically that if you can fly safly then they will grant you a licence. There are a number of pilots flying in the states with only 1 eye!! When is the JAA going to catch up, as we still seem to be in the stone age with our medical requirements