PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplanes to be outlawed
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2006, 11:47
boogie-nicey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets not forget that many of these existing nuclear power stations are quite old. Any new nuclear installations will be very modern incorporating cutting edge technology, lets not shy away from that simple fact that the 'chance' is diminished with modern levels of technology. We have made great strides in near critical applications like laser technology and modern day computer systems (not the PC on your desk but REAL industrial strength computing ... an eye opener). So why can't we try and implement those advances into future plans for power generation. In the long term they are green because of their relatively lower emissions and can really help put us on the road to a better environment but cutting the biggest polluter of all by a long margin, power generators bruning fossil fuels.

Besides other up and coming nations are looking to nuclear power with great enthusiasm so why can't we? Can we really afford to fall behind in the global race and at the expense of our economy? We need to pull our finger out and get going, however I am not advocating some blind rush to nuclear but a very methodical and carefully planned long term vision of nuclear, how and why.

What about offshore with our numerous islands of the coast of Scotland or even more adventurous and utilise all the 'not long to go' North Sea oil rigs that can be resonstructed to form an artificial base in the North Sea.

By the way I love the environment and have an almost spiritual affection for it, after all it is life sustaining. BUT I am no fool and realise that all the self appointed green brigade are just moaning because they have little else to do in their lives and because Daddy didn't buy them a pony when they were younger. Practical and purposeful outlook .......