PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COVENTRY
Thread: COVENTRY
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2006, 10:02
30W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the need for a second runway?? Have you ever tried getting out of BHX during the peak? During the morning rush it can easily be 30mins from push back to airbourne. Stick in a second runway in for the smaller stuff and maybe we can hit the 15mins taxy time built into the slots
I hear where your coming from, I've shared your frustration at the holding point many times.

As far as I'm concerned BHX has plenty of capacity left in it's runway. What the problem is however is the supporting ground taxiway infrastructure that would allow ATC to realise that capacity. Currently their hands are tied by the lack of entry/exit points, and available taxiway space. Don't even get me going on the Cul-de-sac issues which do nothing other than hamper ground operations for all concerned. BIA have just constructed a new taxiway 'C' as you are aware. It can't however be used as an entry point to the runway as it blocks the 33 LOC. Departure waiting times are often forced upon ATC for many reasons, MDI's etc. Sequencing traffic though one runway entry,it is impossible to get maximum capacity under these sort of circumstances. Having 2 entries would reduce problems considerably. ie. if MDI's are on South departures, currently Northern departures are stuck in the line of awaiting departures. If they could have gone from 'C' they would be able to depart with minimum delay.

If you are to have 2 runways, one should NOT be planning multi-mode operation from them. Evidence clearly shows maximum capacity can ONLY be gained operating them in single mode configuration. BHX wouldn't be capable of this as their 'planned' second runway is too unreasonably short for larger traffic. Therefore, BIA's intent is to build something to fudge an issue, not to build something operationally capable of taking the airport into the future.

In summary, BHX only need a second runway because they fail to achieve the full potential from the one they have. What they should invest in, is achieving that potential - Gatwick does that superbly! Builing RET's that aren't, and can't be used as runway entry points in reverse is purely self created problems, from management with their heads in the sand as to true operational requirement. BHX's lack of capacity is partly a self created problem.........sadly!

30W