PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Away for a day and it's gone
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2006, 21:45
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please note in my earlier posts, we do not need 'Jackwhoknowsabitabouteverything' giving us his unlearned opinion.

The allegations that "many" aircraft landed at STN on the night of the 24th April when the RVR was below the minimum allowed for the level of lighting available still stands. Those aircraft that landed that night in RVR's below the minimum allowed under safety regulations were not just Ryanair aircraft.

We already know the numbers and are waiting to see the results of the official investigation. We do not need speculative posts about the incidents or the investigation for now. All the aircraft landed safely but that doesn't mean that they didn't breach safety regulations. Our concern at the moment is why did we see one of the biggest breakdowns of operational integrity by a first world airline in a very long time?

Considering the numbers involved, which we will try to keep confidential for the time being, are we looking at procedural lapses by a group of individuals or do we need to look much further than that? It should not just be a case of firing the crews as they are an expensive and rare commodity in the market. It should be about educating them individually to correct any shortcomings, improving and/or correcting any company wide factors involved and finally educating and raising awareness of all personnel at the company about the lessons learned.

Should scapegoats be found individually and action taken against them in a punitive manner (education and retraining should not be punitive), then we would be outraged here at PPRuNe as that would not be tackling the real problems underlying why so many pilots breached the rules on the 24th April. We wait to see the results of the inquiry and will compare our notes at the time whilst watching the reactions from the companies involved.

The dogs have been unleashed against myself and PPRuNe and I am proud to say that as far as I am concerned, our integrity is intact and we will prevail with the truth in this matter. Whose court is the ball in now?