PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bush Pilot Pay
Thread: Bush Pilot Pay
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2006, 20:32
Roger Copy Charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original question

Originally Posted by Jay Bo
Just wondering what one could expect as weekly pay as a bush pilot throughout Africa having just completed a CPL, Twin Engine endorsement with IFR. (200hrs total)
Thanks
When I completed my CPL/ME/IR with 200 hrs I was very lucky to get a job on a 206, rating paid for. It did cost me over USD 2000 in bribes for a work permit and to sustain myself whilst everything came on-line (said work permit, training, etc.).
The salary was too small to be calculated on a weekly basis... I think it equated to around USD 350 per month at the time. But hey, that covered the bar bill alright! And I lived in a safari lodge, food & accommodation provided!
Pretty soon - after just under 200 hrs of the most challenging and beautiful flying - Bob started ranting, the tourist stayed away, no more flying, no more safari lodge food & accommodation, no more avgas, salary in local "smurkian foopies" devalued to around USD 175 per month, inflation hit over 100%.
A year of aviation unemployment followed... In short: the best time of my life, would recommend it to anybody. Not for sissies.
Follow the advise above: Maun; job hunting season is in January. Aim for a 206. Don't even worry 'bout the rating. Be a nice guy and no sissy. Don't mention the money.