PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2006, 20:20
NightFlit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its pertinent to say that it was a relatively natural progression that ex-servicemen fell into the Cadet Forces, but naturally times have changed and there is a perceived greater responsibility and liability with working with Children that deter many from getting involved after they leave.

To my mind the VR(T) has no place in the Reserve Air Forces, it is nothing more than a youth organisation, a very good one, but a youth organisation nonetheless.

Without being picky there are problems with this statement. Yes ultimately RAF VR(T) Officers hold responsibility for looking after Cadets in both CCF and ATC Units. However, there are equally RAFVR(T) Officers with the responsibility of running Squadrons of Military Aircraft (from Flying Supervisory roles to Engineering Maintenance) and complying with RAF and Joint Services regulations. It would be imposible to imagine the RAF or MOD alowing civilians to hold such responsibility.

Inevitably some individuals decide to “wear” their commission rather than taking status of the role to which they are commissioned into. The latter being the more appropriate stance, but that is human nature … and its not just isolated to RAF VR(T) Officers!

I feel that an officer structure is neccesary for, dare I say a pseudo miltary organisation

Quite right, with the ACO (along with the other Cadet Forces) mimicking the Armed Forces, such a structure is necessary. For a start they are seen more in public that the Armed Forces. It also teaches the “youth” about their national defence, which in turn gives them respect for the men and women serving and respect for the head of state.