PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Jobs at threat ??
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2006, 16:22
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atcSA

When I said 'real controlling' or as you said it 'control properly' it was not meant as a slight on future ATCOs. As things such as Mode S become commonplace, basic skills may be forgotten or even not taught in depth.

Using Mode S as one small example; the Vertical Stack List is a great tool, but in ten years time, when it is taken for granted, how effectively will a newly trained ATCO be able to manage a stack using flight progress strips if the need arises?

Not a dig by any means but I am sure my colleagues at Swanwick, the En Route controllers, will admit that they are not as proficient at holding as they could be.... this is not their fault, it is something they seldom practice, and is not a primary task for them - far from it, but the experiences they have when it comes to stack management are going to become more relevant to TMA controllers as technology takes over.

Take away that technology for whatever reason, and the ATCO who was not trained as thoroughly in stack management as ones who have gone before will struggle.

It's not a case of being trained properly - as we become more dependant on technology the basic training will change to reflect it -(why have the technology otherwise), the worry is that we become too dependant on that technology and forget basic skills - quite a relevant worry when ATC companies are out to make money (or cut down costs)... the training syllabus is bound to be changed to keep costs to a reasonable amount.

Good luck with your training BTW