PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who are the lowest paid pilots?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2006, 15:04
Flock1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about this....

...I am a mere PPL holder, but my day job is being a teacher. I've been doing it now for 12 years and am at the top of the salary tree for a classroom based teacher.

Some of you mention that pilots should be paid becasue of the responsibility they have. So let's look at my job.

Obviously, on a day to day business, I'm responsible for 30 kids in my classroom. But being a senior teacher, I'm also responsible for my whole year group. 120 kids. On trips, where I am party leader, in charge of up to 130 people for up to 3 days (on residential courses), I also have a job with real responsibility. You've all read about kids who've been swept away, broken bones etc. If this happens, guess whose neck is on the block?

Some of you mention the hours you work. Let's look at mine.

I get to school 8am, leave 4-5pm. Get home 5.30, mark books, plan leesons till 7, have something to eat, work till 9. That's every week day. I have Saturday off, then work all day Sunday. This works out to be around 70 hours a week. And before you ask, holidays are taken up by training days, report writing, planning for next term etc. It's only in the 6 week summer holidays that I get a real break However, I do concede that I'm at home every night, have a fixed daily setup, and have real job security. This counts for a lot.

And my monthly salary (net) £1760. And unless I want to become a deputy or head, that is the maximum I can achieve.

Except I think it's fine. So when I hear about some of you complaining about earning less than 2 grand, I feel my blood boil. Yes, you deserve a decent salary (whatever that might be?) and I agree, you are responsible for a multi-million pound aircraft, but like someone else has mentioned, you have one of the best jobs in the world. And how many of you - hands on heart - can say you work a 70 hour week? Not many I presume! And remember, most of you will get a hefty salary after a few years of being an airline pilot.

Maybe I'm wrong though...

Regards

Flock1