PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2006, 12:05
Sensible Bod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just managed to read all the posts.

Mr. Darr, Mr. Darr. I don't think I have had the pleasure of meeting you but pardon me for being impertinent.

The ATC is about the kids, most join because they want to get involved with the exitement of aviation and dare I say the military aspects. They don't want to become scouts.
Therefore the uniform of Her Majesty's Air Force is essential to provide some affiliation. Yes, the badging has to be clear because when I was a CWO, back in the seventies most our cadet SNCO'S had more facial hair than some of the new squaddies.
The VR-T officers in my Sdn. No 362(Ashleigh School Sqn.) were all ex national service commissioned, so therefore all knew the ropes.
The RAF as far as i know are not exempt from employing t*ssers as officers, what is happening at cranwell? By the way, 3 of my mates are ex Tornado drivers and the tales of poor discipline on their part explain why they are flying for the air touring company, Bransons Kites, and Sleazy Jet.
By the way I was a member from 1971 to 1980 as a cadet through to CWO and then CI.
I feel that an officer structure is neccesary for, dare I say a pseudo miltary organisation, yes yes I know it's supposed to be a youth organisation. The phrase in mind "we look up to them and they look down on us" springs to mind but I never felt that was the case. However whatever the situation was in the 70's I feel something has changed, perhaps the pretty distractions for the lads???.
Anyway my thoughts, don't get rid of the officers, kick them up the arse properley before they get a posting to a Sdn. remind them regulary of what the ATC stands for.
I'm now 47 wondering how I can best pay back some of the time the ATC and the RAF gave me, or am I too old.

If any Sdn. needs help I live in Cheshire about a mile from M6 J19.