PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2006, 05:19
DK338

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies for raking this one up but I have a few thoughts to add.

After 20+ years in the RAF I fell in to my local ATC Sqn and very quickly found myself back in uniform but this time holding a VR(T) commission. Seemed like a good idea at the time!

Wind forward a few months and I get to the OIC at ATF and guess what, a room full of knobbers who are more intent in waltzing around in a uniform and larging it up in the mess. Mr Snaiths did a roaring trade. Suffice to say that my weeks experience at Cranwell was for me quite sickening and has left a very bad taste in my mouth and me wondering whether I wish to continue to be involved with a group of uber walts. Right now the thought of being in the VR(T) literally makes my skin crawl with shame, I feel that in some way I have brought shame on the uniform and the proud heritage of the real VR.

To my mind the VR(T) has no place in the Reserve Air Forces, it is nothing more than a youth organisation, a very good one, but a youth organisation nonetheless.

At first I didn't share RayDarrs views but I have to admit my outlook has changed and I now find myself firmly in his camp. I believe that all adult members of the ACO should be enrolled in the ATC/CCF as uniformed civilians, as are the adult SNCOs of the ATC thus creating a firm line between the war fighting element of the RAF and the youth organisation parented by the RAF.

The wearing of the uniform of the Queens armed services is a privelige and is earned, I do not believe that members of the VR(T) have earned that right, unless of course they are ex regulars.