PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar - Not Good Enough
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2006, 01:44
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DutchRoll

I think the most worthwhile feedback a consumer can provide is, where possible, not use the offending service again if they feel that strongly. Vote with your money. By in large, DJ's schedules link in with JQ's to compete, and DJ offers connecting baggage on connecting flights.

If these respondents feel so strongly against JQ, then why not avail themselves of connecting flights on DJ services? The schedules and frequencies do exist. If you can supply details where JQ is the ONLY choice except out of AVV, I'd be interested to see it. I don't agree that JQ are the ONLY choice where DJ fly into that port, although I stand to be corrected.

May I also point out, that since the inception of JQ, more flights exist to more destinations than ever before. During AN's and QF's tenure, there was at one point only one daily MCY service in the mornings only. NO EVENING services, and certainly no daily frequencies that exist currently. The consumer has more choice, and is now paying less for airfares - but, it would seem, this isn't enough. People wanted choice and lower fares - and they got it - but, it would seem, they weren't willing to sacrifice things like turning up -10 to departure to check in the whole family with bags.

Also, the MCY airfare - 21 day advance purchase with Sat night stay - was $450 return. You can purchase a JetFlex return fare for less!

Given that, by in large, with the two airline policy, Australians were spoilt by the two airlines of the time - and were being overcharged for the privilege. With the advent of greater competition that exists, offering lower airfares and greater frequencies, I'd be curious to know of all those who were surveyed, how many of them would be prepared to return to the 'good old days' of paying $450 return for a ticket? And then, work out the savings for them and their party?

I'm all about balance - it would seem that the Australian consumer - and certainly, the Australian traveller - has a VERY short memory.

Re: carriers denying bad service, etc. Couldn't agree more. JQ is not perfect, and in my view has made some stupid mistakes. But DJ and QF are no different. Much of these issues, if you look into them closely, are largely to do with training and staff cutbacks in key operational areas. Not that the passenger should be involved in such problems, mind you, nor affected by them.

"If you think Aussies whinge about poor service, you've obviously never been to the US and seen an American customer on the receiving end. They are ruthless."
In fact, I have been to the US a number of times - LA, NYC, ORD, SFO, etc. In all cases I've flown, with delays, etc. I've NEVER witnessed behaviour as bad as that displayed by Aussies and Brits! WHINGE WHINGE WHINGE! Has anyone seen an episode of Airline or Airport recently?

I have been on a number of Australian flights - mostly on JQ - where there has been a near mutiny because of a weather delay, for petes sake! And the crew copped the worst abuse I've ever witnessed on an aircraft.

Flying out of Maroochydore a couple of weeks ago, the CSO's had to call the police to protect themselves because the inbound flight diverted due to storm activity over the airport. What the hell is going on???

Whilst I have witnessed bad staff behaviour in the US, I have not witnessed - oddly enough, maybe?? - 'ruthless' US travellers. By in large, they take a lot in their stride and so long as you keep them informed, they're at least placated. Could it be that they are simply better travellers than us?

Or is it that they simply understand the benefits - and sacrifices - greater competition has given them? Low cost carriers like JQ wouldn't exist if people didn't flood to their websites every seat sale.