PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capped Actuals - What are your experiences?
Old 8th May 2006, 18:31
SIT head

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actuals Schmactuals

Capped actuals have one big downside from anyone's perspective - and that is the amount of time it takes to keep a track of things on a daily basis. The looks of disdain from the waiters/waitresses when we ask for separate bills is enough to make you realise you are now a second-class citizen. I'm about half-way through a month long det to the States and fortunately, our resident computer geek (he's an 'early adapter' apparently) has knocked up an Excel spread sheet to keep track of the spending. That's helping no-end and I'd recommend doing something similar for anyone about to be detached. I would guess there is at least one full day's JPA admin for everyone when we get back just to put the claim in - and that would be if we could log in and everything went smoothly! This needs to be considered when personnel return from a Det, they need the time to resolve the admin burden before they can properly become productive in their normal roles. In short, it's the biggest faff I have ever had to deal with over the many years I've been in the Service.
Another thing that really bugs about capped actuals, is that the daily amount cannot be flexed throughout any period of, say, a week. It's a daily allowance, so that's yer lot! So, if you're working/flying hours are outside the norm, then we've been finding that those days show an underspend on the cap. I suppose we shouldn't complain about that, because like it or not, that is what it is supposed to do. However, I would be prepared bet my next month's JPA issued Flying Pay (hmmm, safe bet then) that the Treasury will see an underspend across the board when they audit such Dets and thereby reduce the capped level. Now that sucks.
Tipping is proving to be a bit of nightmare - it is the norm in the US to tip between 15 -18 % of the total biil, that is how the waiting staff make their money. We are only allowed to tip 10% and that comes out of the capped actual. Rather than upset anyone, we're just coughing up out of our own pockets. Thing is, 10% might be okay in a fish & chip shop in Marbella, but it isn't the same globally! I believe these amounts should be set after consultation with respective Embassy staffs and capped amounts adjusted accordingly.
For what it's worth, the scribes at my home base in Lincs are the dog's whatsits and I truly dread to think where we would be without them to 'ease the JPA & Allowances transition'. If I'm audited, when I get back - and I think I will be because of the 'policy violations' of buying hire car petrol on my own credit card (no GPC as of yet) - I'm hoping the Excel Spread Sheet will make that process as easy as possible for me and the allowances team.
Regards
SIT Head