PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B747, double engines lost...
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2006, 16:51
18-Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckhy
Thanks guys for your tips and advice it did clear things up a bit for me. I've came to a conclusion that because of the damaged caused by the 2 engines on the leading edge of the right wing, it led to assymetric LE flaps, generating more lift on the left wing and stalled the right wing and in the end the aircraft rolled violently to the right and crashed because there weren't enough roll and yaw control to balance the aircraft etc etc. My lecturer agreed with me and reckons i'm on the right track. so now i just gotta keep writing it
cheers guys

What happened with them is that they lost the pneumatic duct on one side, and they apparently didn't follow the correct procedure with extending the flaps.
There's one switch in the Classic that'll kill you, and it's the Leading Edge Alternate Operation switch. Mr Boeing didn't rig that switch very well, as unlike the Trailing Edge Alternate Operation switch it doesn't disable the movement of the LE flaps in conunction with the movement of the TE flaps.
In the heat of the moment, it's very easy to forget this, it the LE alternate switch and run the flaps. The LE flaps will still work as if the alternate switch wasn't switched, however. The TE alternate switch really does cut out the normal TE flaps operation when switched though.
The trick is to remember to run the LE flaps using the alternate electrical system, all out both sides in one go. Don't bother with the flap scheduling thing, just do them all at once, eitherr in or out and be done with it.

The poor chaps in Europe may well have forgotten this, hit the switch and run the flaps, thus leading to the LE flaps not coming out on one side and so the plane uncontrollably rolling over.