PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is anyone else fed up with the "Collar and Tie" poll?
Old 7th May 2006, 11:07
QNH 1013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone else fed up with the "Collar and Tie" poll?

Is anyone else fed up with the "Instructors wearing Collar and Tie" Poll? This has dragged on for four years now and would surely have died a humane death except that it was made a poll instead of a normal thread. The problem with a poll on this board is that every time someone clicks the "vote" the poll goes to the top of the board again. As a result, we have had this clogging up the front page of the Instructors forum for four years with only an occasional new post.
What probably started as a bit of fun now looks very silly, and trivialises this forum. Perhaps this contributes to the attitude quoted in the forum sub-heading; ".........instructing is the lowest form of avaition".
As an Instructor, I find this particular Poll rather irritating year after year. It devalues the whole forum, which has some quite serious and important discussions.
Moderators, could you lock Polls after they have run their course? Surely if you have a poll, it needs to have a conclusion, i.e. an end date. I would suggest that a poll needs to be concuded after a month at the longest.
If it was up to me they would end after only a week, or am I just being grumpy?
By the way, can anyone explain the point of having any polls anyway? The normal threads provide much more insight and enlightenment than a (badly chosen) limited choice of answers.