PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ben's PPL Diary
Thread: Ben's PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2006, 07:39
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ben

Have you read through the "From Zero to 45" thread on here? Some excellent stuff on there for anyone at any stage of their training. Give yourself a few days to get through it though

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138022

4: Be prepared for delays and cancellations for whatever unforseen reason.
Oh yes indeed. This will become a very real part of your training in your part of the world. I had my first lesson 2 years ago last weekend and finally attained the PPL last November i.e. 18 months later. I can only fly on weekends and was available every single weekend for 18 months but the number of delays and cancellations can be very frustrating - but it is worth it in the end.

I'm just across the road (M62), from you near sunny Holmfirth and did half my training at Leeds and the other half at Sheffield with lots of time out at Sandtoft (first solo) and Gamston (first landing). Never been to Barton though, but I know of a couple of friends who learned there and had a great time.

And as for the weight thing - are you currently on Cessnas? That could be an issue on the smaller machines. I went for a PA-28 from the start as I wanted the extra seats to take friends flying later on. I'm around 95kg (don't know what that is in the old money) and have had a couple of instructors who must weigh the same and this isn't a problem at all with full fuel on a PA-28. You will get to know just how sensitive aircraft are to weight when you do your first solo with no one in the right seat. The climb from take off is incredible! ;-) And as you progress in your training, and after qualifying, you can convert to Cessnas etc. as you please.